Illadelph ashcatcher owners

Discussion in 'Scientific Glass' started by Pizzuto23, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Pizzuto23

Pizzuto23 BM v2 Subscriber

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I'm about to buy an illadelph ashcatcher and I'm trying to decide between the inline or disc. I would like to know what you personally think has better diffusion.

fattydabs likes this.
  2. UOFreeshards

Advertisement

0   0   0

3. Seattle_Slyme

Seattle_Slyme BM v2 Subscriber

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

The showerhead is cool because you can buy another showerhead and keep stacking but I found that they add a lot of resistance to the pull of the piece because illadelph changed the bottom of the stems diffusor in their disc ashcatcher series to these smaller holes and they just don't pull as freely as the inlines do. I haven't hit a new showerhead ash catcher from illadelph in a long time so I don't know if this still holds true or if they fixed it (I thought it was a huge issue and others who I knew complained about it but I dont know if this was a huge deal elsewhere or to illadelph).

The inline while it puts an end to adding more parts to your piece (which I personally don't mind less is more and illadelph parts are very expensive anyway) I always thought it was the better ash catcher, mainly, because of what I stated earlier and its harder to clog if you don't frequently clean your piece, I personally like the way it looks better, and I feel like an inline is a more unique perc.

Definitely whatever headshop you go to (if your buying new) just ask them to water test both percs and decide on the way you feel towards each ones unique feel, look, and pull. Even if you aren't buying new I advise you to go and do this. It isn't like buying a rig where I feel like their are a lot of factors at play that make a great rig for whatever dabber is buying it. Buying a weed piece is more about giving the smoke water exposure/peculation and just genuinely loving the way air pulls through the piece. Good luck with your purchase I'm a big fan of Illadelph setups, they're a great company run by some good people.

4. conata

conata BM v2 Subscriber

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Hello, I have experience with 4 types of Illadelph ash catchers so thought I'd resurrect this thread for informational purposes. All Illadelph ash catchers I've tried work great and the splash guards work perfect. Below ac's include: inline, disc, micro V1, micro V2.

The inline is unique because the angle of the slide can be adjusted by rotating the inline perc. This is useful when using a non-Illadelph tube which may have a different joint angle. Also, the slide joint is located about the same height & further out than the tube joint for great access. Many ash catchers relocate the slide to a higher position which is not convenient on mini tubes. The inline ac is louder and a bit more sensitive to water level. Sorry if anyone is offended by this- I had a glass shop remove the 6" downstem from mine to fit an Everest stemline mini and it works great.

The disc is really nice smooth sounding and works perfect. Only downside is no adjusting the slide angle but I've tried mine on a Mobius strato and it worked awesome. 6" stem

Minidelph Micro V1 (4" stem) and V2 (5" stem) are really cool little ac's that use a removable downstem to hold the slide and a fixed downstem for the tube similar to the above styles. They come in bent and straight (for stacking). These are fun because other downstems can be substituted: use 1/4 to 1/2 inch shorter stem than the Illadelph size to avoid interference at the bottom of the ac shell. Illadelph downstems have a full radius bottom for perfect fit unlike Leisure and some others. I have a few of these and again have removed the downstem on one to use on 18mm stemline tubes. (like adult Lego's)

My experience is slide lube is useful when mixing different glass brands because the joints don't all fit exactly the same.

I may post some pics and hope this can be interesting to someone. I've been watching this forum for several years but never posted before so thought I should start building some cred.

5. fattydabs

fattydabs

0   0   0

I own one of each. I have a blue label Illadelph straight tube with matching inline AC and a 9mm frosted white label Illadelph beaker with matching showerhead AC. They both work great, but I do prefer the showerhead perc. I think it pulls better and functions better when the pipe is tilted and hit at an angle.

You really can't go wrong though. They are both a definite functional upgrade and are worth buying.